Cartmel & Coniston, Cumbria, England

Quakerism thrived early on in this corner of Cumbria, England.

The place-name Cartmel is found in the Pipe Rolls of 1177 and means “sandbank by rocky ground” from the Old Norse.  The village is known now as the home of sticky toffee pudding.

The current meeting house, pictured here, dates from 1859.

Coniston sits at the mouth of Coppermines Valley and Yewdale Beck, which descend from Coniston Fells, once the location of ore and slate mining.

Both Cartmel and Coniston are part of the Lake District National Park.

Cartmel Meeting House, Cumbria, England